[OZAPRS] hardware suggestions

Marcus B mrmabs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 16 15:23:00 AEDT 2016

Radio, how powerful do you want? You can get modules ready to go on 145.175
FM; depending on what you get you can have 300mW to a 1W. TNC you can use
an Arduino with an APRS shield, I have one from Argent Data, has the TNC on
the shield so that Arduino only needs to do the basics, and an Arduino can
connect directly to some 3G modems running OpenWRT, like my MR-3020 via the
TTL or USB serial. All of that could fit in a very small case and could
even run off a small solar power set up if needed.

Shield for Arduino, I own one of these, but I haven't put the pins on it
and tested it yet:
http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php?title=Radio_Shield_2

1W VHF FM transceiver, I have a few of VHF and UHF modules:
http://www.hamshop.cz/avr-arduino-raspberry-pi-c16/vhf-transceiver-module-134174mhz-1w-dra818v-i266/

I want to put a VHF transceiver module on an Arduino shield and then with
the APRS Shield I have a fully functioning TNC with transceiver, and with
the right Arduino software, it can become a digipeater and the serial
output from the APRS Shield is APRS packets, so that raw data can be sent
to the internet as is.

TNC using the same microcontroller as the Arduino, I have made an older
revision of this with an Arduino and a breadboard, worked well with a 300mW
handheld in Wagga:
http://unsigned.io/projects/micromodem/

More processing power? You could use a Raspberry Pi with a (compatible) USB
3G modem and run a TNC-Pi. http://tnc-x.com/TNCPi.htm