[OZAPRS] Help

Ray aprs at exemail.com.au
Tue Jul 27 18:33:24 AEST 2021

Keith,

While hardware TNCs can still work for APRS most enthusiasts would
recommend you look towards the Direwolf soundcard TNC whose performance
walks all over hardware units, using a cheap (< $5) USB sound dongle and
some software on the computer. I assume you're already using a computer
for the digital modes. Take a look here (scroll down for the document)
to at least take a look at what Direwolf can do, it's impressive. There
is a Direwolf mailing list where help is available for the asking.
direwolf at groups.io Use your favourite search engine to search aprs
direwolf. For non-Direwolf search aprs and (for Linux) Xastir as a
decent GUI program. There are others. Let your search engine be your friend.

I don't know the radio you have but I have no doubt it will interface
without drama to Direwolf, and there's quite a bit of APRS software
available for GUI displays and such. I'm sure there are a few people
here who can provide more information than I can. You didn't mention
which OS you use, but Direwolf is cross-platform. The choice of GUI
software will depend somewhat on your OS but all three common OSs,
Linux, Mac and Windows are catered for.  I only run Linux and can't
provide any help for the other two OSs.

Ray
vk2tv