[OZAPRS] Setting up a wx station at a local rc airfield

Max Bainrot mbainrot at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 07:35:51 AEDT 2019

Hi folks

Got a quick query about wx stations at locations away from home.

What would be the best way to go about setting up a wx station for a local
rc club of mine in terms of licensing?

I’m assuming because it’s a broadcast only contraption a repeater license
is not applicable so probably best/easiest to chuck it under my ham call
but still wanted to pick the hive mind incase there’s a better solution 🙂

Can’t use cellular data as there is a nearby radio telescope that’s
centered  on 850 MHz (bw of +/- 30? MHz if memory serves me correctly)
hence considering VHF APRS, there’s even a convenient APRS iGate not all
that far away. (I will be engaging with the mob that runs the radio
telescope too to be sure they’re ok with it)

Cheeers
Max - VK2NMF