[OZAPRS] Foundation and RF APRS

Carlos PECO BERROCAL carlos.peco at gmail.com
Thu Dec 19 23:50:32 AEDT 2019

Marcus,

My personal thoughts, in random order:

- You can do PACTOR-4 in Australia and get away with it.
- Which means to me that any obfuscated/funny protocol seems to be ignored
by the Regulator, but if you are not a sociopath you'll transmit your
callsign at the same frequency and from the same location every now and
then.
- Callsigns are useful to identify the source of transmissions in case of
interference, so the Regulator can have your LOCATION easily.
- There are $5 modules on ebay where you can record-replay a 8-second voice
snippet. It can contain your voice or CW tones.
- Most people just mumble their callsigns very fast without using any sort
of meaningful phonetic alphabet, in practical terms that makes them
unidentifiable to the Regulator, who could not care less (they do care when
there is a serious interference issue).
- You can have a radio "A" for APRS and a radio "B" to broadcast your
callsign every now and then.
- If callsigns of the form 1F, 2F, 3F... are not allocated by ITU, I see
not problem with aprs.fi propagating them. What aprs.fi does in Finland is
probably out of the list of concerns to the Regulator.

So, essentially, I don't see any problem because everybody knows who is
3FJTS and can be easily tracked down in case of problems. By the way, he's
carrying a GPS and telling the Regulator about his whereabouts ;-)

If there was a crackdown on people not identifying themselves correctly
(look at how careful the Indonesians are when giving their callsigns, that
does not happen by accident) or if the Regulator was prosecuting people for
operating PACTOR-4 in amateur bands, then my perception would be very
different.

These are just my thoughts, everybody will have their own. Not trying to
convince people about the Earth being flat.

73,
Carlos VK1EA