[OZAPRS] Fill In Digi needed

Matthew Cook vk5zm at bistre.net
Tue Nov 7 16:44:58 AEDT 2017

Yes RX iGates "can" break two-way messaging, but only in certain
circumstances.

We lost a very good Wide2 digi that covered the Adelaide plains here in VK5
a while back and as a result there are now black spots where APRS messaging
no longer works.

To make it worse there is a RX only iGate that has a good shot into that
area, so it picks up the message fires it back into APRS-IS only to
reappear via our internet->rf gateway...  the issue is when you reply over
RF it goes no where.  You've got to check the path to work out if it's
worth while.   Turning that RX only iGate into a digi to aleviate the issue
is not a good idea since there are three WIDE2's within cooeee of that area
so the forth will do nothing but create congestion.  Catch 22.  One day we
may find a site to replace the one we lost.

With respect to messaging many of us used to take advantage of the QSY
feature of our kenwoods (it tells you where other stations are listening),
so when the local repeater was busy I could message others to QSY to an
adjacent repeater without breaking in and QSY-ing on the first repeater.
With the holes in the messaging network this has proven harder.

Anyway that is the only negative, we have a plethora of RX only iGates
around here now days, so it's interesting to see how things change.

73

Matthew
VK5ZM