[OZAPRS] RGI digi too big a coverage ?

Josh vk2hff at vk2hff.ampr.org
Mon Nov 6 13:34:02 AEDT 2017

Hi Ian,

I've checked the heard lists for the last few months and I don't think
it will be a problem.
You were regularly hearing RGI when it was operational, but AMW wasn't.
Assuming Canberra locals were using the recommended path
'WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1', frames being digipeated by RGI would leave with the
remaining path WIDE2-1 if they were heard directly, or no free path if
they were heard via RMB.
So worse case you would digi the frame with a now-full path, which would
be heard by AMW but dropped.
It appears that most of the Sydney basin can't directly hear your digi,
so wouldn't hear Canberra traffic via you.

As far as I know, up until September RGI was operating as a W2 digi and
congestion in Sydney wasn't an issue then (except on the roads, but we
can't blame APRS for that!)

If you want to see how much APRS traffic there is (or isn't) on RF in
S/W Sydney, my igate's live log is available at http://aprs.vk2hff.ampr.org/

- Josh VK2HFF