[OZAPRS] 9k6

hammil at optusnet.com.au hammil at optusnet.com.au
Fri Dec 1 08:43:18 AEDT 2017

Hi Andrew

I only have limited experience with APRS and am not that technical so I
have been watching this thread with some interest.
With that said, I have found 30m APRS much more reliable than 40m. I
originally tried using 40m APRS but the limited number of igates seemed
to impede it somewhat, with most of my packets
being received by VK7RO.

I now run two 30m igates one in Sydney and one in Crookwell. The one in
Sydney [VK2ZZM] is running with a wide band Codan 7004 [these old
crystal locked receivers with their crystal ovens are very stable] with
UZ7HO Soundmodem and
UI-view.  The one in Crookwell [VK2ZZM-5] is running a narrow band 7004
with a Raspberry Pi and Dire wolf. Crookwell is at 1000 meters and very
quiet compared to my Sydney set up however it suffers from
a slow 3G internet connection. This means that I can drive out the front
gate at Crookwell and my APRS packet is gated by Bruce VK4MQ due to his
fast internet connection.
At the moment Bruce is running two 30m igates using the same receiver
VK4MQ-4 which is using UI-view and VK4MQ-5 that is running the Pi. The
Pi is obliviously faster passing the packets to the internet.
Owen VK2OL also has two 30m igates at separate locations in Sydney,
again one running Dire Wolf the other UI-view.

On Owens recent trip across Australia we found that, apart from WA, 30m
APRS worked quite well.
A good number of Owen's packets went through igates in VK5.
The Manly Warringah Radio Society assisted Greg VK8MD to establish an
30M igate in Alice Springs using a 7004 and Dire Wolf which helps cover
central Australia.

Earlier this year I did a trip from Sydney to the Gold Coast running
both VHF and HF APRS. Both performed well.

If you want reliable HF APRS I suggest, from my experience, 30m APRS is
the way to go. With a good antenna and Tiny Track3 you will be off and
running in no time.
The only major APRS setup problem I had was with RF feedback when I
dedicated a Codan X2 as my APRS transmitter in place of my FT897.
I've up loaded a video of my APRS set up and part of Owens trip using HF
APRS on youtube. Let me know if you would like the links.

Like most aspects of Amateur Radio APRS can be a little frustrating when
you hit problems, but a lot of fun when you get it running.
I look forward to receiving some of your packets.

73s
Rod
VK2ZZM