[OZAPRS] hardware suggestions

vk2tv vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Feb 18 08:01:59 AEDT 2016

Matthew, all,

AS60038, was published in Australia on 23rd January 2000 toreplace the
previous 240V standard. This requires, under normal service
conditions, that thevoltage at the point of supply should not differ
from the nominal voltage of 230/400V by more than +10%,-6%.
Voltage drop within a customer's premises may reduce this by another 5%,
the maximum permissible under AS/NZS 3000, known as the Wiring Rules.
Essential Energy therefore say that the total variation can be as wide
as +10%, -11%. Essential Energy realises that this voltage range may
cause issues with 240V equipment and they, therefore, have adopted the
range of 230V, +10%, -2%, which aligns very closely with the old 240V
standard. When I was the Supply Irregularity Officer with a County
Council (not Essential Energy) the standard was 240V, ±6%, or 226V-254V.
I know that other states had different standards at the time, and maybe
they still do.

The current Essential Energy "standard" of 230V, +10%, -2%, is within
AS60038 requirements, and returns a voltage range of 253V-225V. The
AS60038 percentages return 253V-216V.

During my time in the position of SIO the nominal HV supply was 11,000V,
and that tap setting was chosen on distribution transformers. Under
unloaded network conditions the LV would be at near the top allowable
figure of 254V, and network load would reduce that figure.

Whilst the "nominal" voltage may be 230V according to AS60038, in
practice, it appears little (nothing?) has changed since the 240V standard.

Ray vk2tv