[OZAPRS] Desert trekking

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Wed Sep 3 21:27:34 EST 2014

APRS is what attracted me to Amateur Radio.
I was part of a trek across the Simpson Desert in 2009 and after being shown APRS by a mutual friend
(who I "hung shit" on when he got his licence in 2001 I might add!!), the race was on for me to get
licenced before the trip.
That same friend (Steve; VK2ZSZ) modified the HF radio which was to become my HF APRS rig, whilst I
studied for my exams. The amount of Igates back then was a lot less but my trek was still followed
by friends and family.
Fast forward a few years and the amount of igates has increased and I'm still amazed at what can be
achieved by a group of like minded individuals with a common interest. I have set up my own HF igate
in an attempt to give back some of what I've enjoyed for years.
Spread the word; there can never be too many APRS users :-P

Ian
VK1IAN