[OZAPRS] VK2XSE IGate

Liz VK2XSE edodd at billiau.net
Mon Feb 17 19:43:25 EST 2014

QTR Thu, 06 Feb 2014 07:13:15 +1100 Ray Wells QTC

> The wifi (both dongles tried) connected to a powered hub (on the RPi
> ok list) which had a 2.5A plug pack.
>
> There's much on the net about the fragility of the USB ports (and
> ethernet which, internally, is also really USB) on the Pi and there
> are many methods suggested to "fix" those problems, none of which
> worked for me. I think the solution is to ensure as close to 5v on
> the USB ports as possible, without exceeding 5.25v (USB spec upper
> limit) input to the RPi. The supply needs to be clean - check with a
> CRO.
>
> Ray vk2tv
>
> On 05/02/14 21:11, Jason Ball wrote:
> > Pi's are extremely sensitive to voltage problems and bad power
> > supplies.   I've helped a number of people with Pi projects and
> > found it's the most common cause of problems.   Its even worse if
> > you have wifi drawing power from the USB port.
> >
> > A bad power supply will cause problems, without fail.

With the new kernel etc, the Pi lasted about 11 days.
Then I ran Xastir on it as well overnight watching Andy's Pico balloon
and at 01:48Z was the last entry in the log.
All networking stops, including my USB display, so I have no way of
interrogating the Pi to see what its state is (no I am not carrying the
multi-output monitor sold as a "TV" to the Pi to use the HDMI output,
as it is shut down once the USB display starts)