[OZAPRS] VK2XSE IGate

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Feb 17 20:01:44 EST 2014

On 17/02/14 19:43, Liz VK2XSE wrote:
> QTR Thu, 06 Feb 2014 07:13:15 +1100 Ray Wells QTC
>
>> The wifi (both dongles tried) connected to a powered hub (on the RPi
>> ok list) which had a 2.5A plug pack.
>>
>> There's much on the net about the fragility of the USB ports (and
>> ethernet which, internally, is also really USB) on the Pi and there
>> are many methods suggested to "fix" those problems, none of which
>> worked for me. I think the solution is to ensure as close to 5v on
>> the USB ports as possible, without exceeding 5.25v (USB spec upper
>> limit) input to the RPi. The supply needs to be clean - check with a
>> CRO.
>>
>> Ray vk2tv
>>
>> On 05/02/14 21:11, Jason Ball wrote:
>>> Pi's are extremely sensitive to voltage problems and bad power
>>> supplies.   I've helped a number of people with Pi projects and
>>> found it's the most common cause of problems.   Its even worse if
>>> you have wifi drawing power from the USB port.
>>>
>>> A bad power supply will cause problems, without fail.
>>>

> With the new kernel etc, the Pi lasted about 11 days.
> Then I ran Xastir on it as well overnight watching Andy's Pico balloon
> and at 01:48Z was the last entry in the log.
> All networking stops, including my USB display, so I have no way of
> interrogating the Pi to see what its state is (no I am not carrying the
> multi-output monitor sold as a "TV" to the Pi to use the HDMI output,
> as it is shut down once the USB display starts)
>

> -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
> Liz
> VK2XSE

Liz,

I'm probably about to jinx myself but here goes! I'm delighted with both
Pi's since I paid attention to their power supplies. The ADSB Pi with
DTV dongle is in its 40th day and the aprs gateway Pi with four port
USB/RS232 adaptor is in day 36. Both Pi's run headless with Ethernet
connectivity to the LAN and both operate without a USB hub. It's going
to be a shame to replace them with the old Acer laptop.

Ray vk2tv