[OZAPRS] Car-Pi

Gmail vk2jma at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 19:58:48 EST 2013

Liz,
Have been running the R-Pi in a toyota prado for a few weeks using a commercial radio and an Agent data tracker. The Pi runs Xastir and uses the in dash reversing camera screen (composite input) The connection to the R-Pi is via the USB. The keyboard and mouse are a small combined wireless unit from Think Geek, a better one (bigger) is now available from DSE. The setup runs off the cars second battery and is always on. If the battery volts get to low and everything stops, on restart the pi will boot, auto login and auto run xastir. I had to make my own low res maps for xastir because of the low screen resolution. I'm not running the igate function but the wipi dongle from spark fun allows net connections via my iPhone hotspot. The pi is more than capable as an Igate and ran as Vk2jma-5 for some time.
I'd say give it a go.
Regards
Mark