[OZAPRS] Melbourne APRS Repeater

Tony King vk3api at people.net.au
Fri Mar 18 10:33:59 EST 2011

Hi Peter,
Yes only to pleased to help and talk.  At the moment I am only igating
from around 8am to 11pm each day but I could leave it on longer if that
helps.  I seem to have reasonable coverage for the eastern suburbs but
am blocked to the east from my qth by high ground. This rules out
Healesville Warburton and the majority of the Yarra Valley. In general I
seem to be covering a 180 degree area  based on my place of about 50km
radius but go much further when the other stations are higher and I then
include some spots out towards Ballan and to the north west. With the
RYV digi because it can reach me from Briartys Hill then the circle
would be 360 degrees from my place and include Healesville Warburton the
Yarra Valley and much of the ranges country out that way. There would
also be extended coverage well down the bay and into other valleys
around Preston and places like that which I am a bit low to reach.
This is based on the coverage of the RYV voice repeater which  is at the
same site.

The RYV-1 digi has been a project for some time sponsored by the Yarra
Valley Amateur Radio Group. The radio/tnc  bit is all ready to go but
before we can put it in service we have to solve a 2m desensing problem
on Briartys Hill which is it's intended destination.
All we need is a cavity but other than building one they seem to be a
bit in short supply.

I can chat to the committee and I am sure we can arrange to have the
digi lent to you for a while for use on Mt Dandenong if that will help.
I can easily re program the prom to reflect whatever routes and
callsigns you would like. It's only and 828 and MFJ TNC.

                                                                                             Regards Tony VK3API