[OZAPRS] How much power do you use while HF mobile?

Steve stevez at tpg.com.au
Fri Jun 10 21:23:10 EST 2011

Hello Mike,

Just curious as to why 5W is acceptable only for boats? Is it about noise? If so, why is that important at the TX end?
What are calling a single hop - do you mean a single ionosphere hop, or a single digital hop?

Completely agree on you frequency accuracy comments. I use an MFJ1270B, MixW and Unix Soundmodem, and they all like the signals to be pretty accurate. Some stations are off from the crowd by many tens of Hertz! I'd love to see how one of those DSP modems go. I reckon they would be great.

Anyway, I love the QRP/QRO debate - Lacking an order of magnitude of "acceptable" power has never stopped me from passing traffic!

Steve Z.

So my opinion: 5W hf-APRS only works on sailing boat within single hop
distance to gate.
vy 73 de OE3MZC/VK3FPF