[OZAPRS] How much power do you use while HF mobile?

OE3MZC Mike oe3mzc at oevsv.at
Fri Jun 10 20:45:29 EST 2011

I have been using HF-APRS on 10MHz (30m Band)  several months while 4WD
Western Australia and Namibia, Angola, Botswana...but also across Europe.
The result: mobile low power use does produce usable results ONLY if you are
in 1-hop distance to numerous hf-gates
AND only with ROBUST PACKET MODE !
As this is not the case in most instances, I would recommend 50Watt minimum
in FSK- 300Baud packet mode for mobile antenna operation.
In Europe we have several gates scattered all across Europe, but mainly in
Southern European countries, but we also suffer significantly higher man
made noise on hf. So weak signals are often corrupted and cannot be decoded
by hf-gate modem.

Noise levels in Africa are much more comparable to low noise levels in VK,
but HF-Gates are only located in ZS and V5.
Fortunately some of these gates support DUAL-MODE-RECEIVE for conventional
FSK 300 Baud and Robust Packet (RPR) at same time and within same if-filter
bandwidth.
So I could easily compare results and RPR is 90% more reliable for being
decoded.

My setup was:
YAESU FT100
PWR 60W
Antenne: 4m glass fibre whip
SGC automatic antenna tuner at bull bar or bumper
SCS DSP-TNC

So my opinion: 5W hf-APRS only works on sailing boat within single hop
distance to gate.
vy 73 de OE3MZC/VK3FPF