[OZAPRS] Feedback on VX-8

Richard Hoskin vk3jfk at amsat.org
Wed Sep 29 18:04:05 EST 2010

Hi All,

I don't have a VX8R I've used one for a while to compare it against a D7. I
found that I missed the functions and TNC access of the D7 and while there
is no built in GPS on the D7 I found it much easier to use and a better
voice radio.

I'm waiting in anticipation for the new Kenwood D72a

http://www.strictlyham.com.au/kenwood/handheld/th-d72a

As far as I know the new TH-D72 dual-band APRS hand-held radio is the
long-awaited successor to the discontinued TH-D7. Supposedly, the new radio
will be available sometime in late 2010.

The D72 features a built-in GPS receiver (the GPS patch antenna in the
slight hump between the whip and the volume control), but retains most of
the controls and connectors of it's predecessor.  This includes 2.5mm stereo
"minijack" serial port connectors for access to the internal TNC and GPS.
It was not clear whether the "GPS" jack provides access to the internal GPS
(perhaps for a mapping program on a laptop), or whether it allows an
external serial GPS to be connected in the manner of the old TH-D7.

In addition to the two serial ports, the side panel sports a 5-conductor
mini-USB connector like the ones on mobiles, Garmin GPSs, etc. Again, it is
not clear whether this USB interface will just duplicate the data flows on
the serial port, (i.e. is essentially a built-in serial<-->USB "dongle"
working in parallel with the serial port), or will be something different.
I.e. perhaps TNC data on the serial, and radio control & memory programming
on the USB? (from http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/TH-D71.htm)

Cheers
Richard
VK3JFK