[OZAPRS] Feedback on VX-8

Gerard Hill vk2io at amsat.org
Wed Sep 29 14:12:58 EST 2010

Hi All,

I've had a VX8R for about a year now. With the GPS add-on, its a great
performer on APRS. In the car, it can be plugged into an external
antenna when mobile and then can be quickly converted for pedestrian
mobile operation by plugging in a quarter wave antenna. The 5W out I
find to be more than adequate. Battery life hasn't been an issue yet either.

The problem Jack mentioned is quite common, but I haven't had to fix the
audio on mine yet. It's due to the use of springy metal to make contact
with the speaker connections instead of physical wires. The problem can
be fixed very easily as demonstrated in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMlGwBK_ttE
About 5:30 in the actual problem and fix is described.

Anyway, I'm very happy with this radio and would recommend it to others.

Cheers ... Gerard, VK2IO