[OZAPRS] APRS with Foundation license

Paul pkcav at aapt.net.au
Tue Oct 5 14:41:30 EST 2010

Hi All,

Just a thought but,

Anyone can connect to a public internet aprs site and can use any name they choose to identify themselves, after all the internet is public domain and sites such as aprs.fi are available for everyone in general to use, eg just look at all of the commecial shipping etc that you can see on there. So no arguments there, but .....

When a station uses their own personal VK amateur radio foundation licence callsign, they ARE advertising themselves as a VK amateur radio foundation station.

The thought here, is this, firstly a non-VK amateur seeing a VK amateur callsign will naturally assume the ststion is allowed to use aprs, and this leads to problems with the second point, as already highlighted by Richard and Ray.

If a number of F calls were broadcasting using their ham f call callsign by whatever method onto a website and their stations were then being gated back to RF, and if the amateur responsible for an Igate is also responsible for ensuring that an F call's callsign is not gated from the internet through to RF (keep in mind how difficult it would be to try to keep track of all the callsigns that can or can not use aprs, from every country worldwide not just VK), then following this train of thought, wouldn't the only option available, to every Igate operator world wide, be to turn all the Igates off ,           ........what would we have then?

Paul, vk5vhf