[OZAPRS] APRS Tracker

Howard Small howard at small.com.au
Mon Nov 29 11:52:00 EST 2010

Gee that's a bit harsh on Byon! Don't forget that even if you are
listening you may not hear another rig transmitting - that is why we
have digis...

Anyway, that has always been the case with packet radio - no one
listens, it is done automatically  by received audio or carrier
detection. Hence there will always be packets transmitted over the top
of others. All you can stop is transmitting over the top of the digi and
those within range of you.

Hence the (greater) problem of gates passing large volumes of traffic
from the internet to RF blotting out the signals of (especially) hand
held rigs. You can live in a regional area where there should be little
traffic and find it nearly impossible to get your packet processed by
the local digi as others on this forum well know!!

Actually I suspect the major cause of congestion is the broadcasting of
position packets for no purpose other than seeing ones call sign on
aprs.fi! If packets were restricted to those serving some useful purpose
there is probably more than enough bandwidth even in densely populated
areas.

Howard
VK4BS