[OZAPRS] Is there any one using PSK63 ?

Gerard Hill vk2io at amsat.org
Thu May 20 14:42:37 EST 2010

Hi Richard,

The FSK and PSK63 APRS signals are using different frequencies even
though the suppressed carrier frequency (10.1476 MHz) is the same.

FSK uses tones at 1600 and 1800 Hz.
PSK63 uses 2100 Hz.

They are far enough apart not to cause mutual interference. You can see
a waterfall spectral display of the two here:
http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/Mix-Spectrum-Dual.gif

At the top is the PSK63 signal and in the middle is the FSK signal. They
do not overlap and will happily coexist. You can remove one or other of
them by using a narrow filter in your receiver such as a 300 Hz "CW"
filter tuned to the right frequency. A narrow filter is a good idea
anyway as reducing the noise bandwidth really helps improve the decoding
of the FSK or PSK63 signal.

Cheers ... Gerard, VK2IO