[OZAPRS] WinAPRS/APRS-CE/XASTIR maps

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Mar 30 07:38:05 EST 2010

Paul,

All of Australia is available in 1:250,000 topographic format from
Geoscience Australia (www.ga.gov.au) and they are free. They're in ecw
format and I still use Irfanview to convert them to jpg for xastir. I
found they had file size issues and wouldn't load when I used them in
UIView some years ago. I had to reduce their resolution for UIView. For
xastir I cut each map into 0.5 degree x 0.5 degree tiles for faster
well but I'd long abandoned UIView by then.

If you use xastir there's a perl script that ships with the sources (but
which is readily available elsewhere), ozi2geo.pl, to create an xastir
geo file for oziexplorer maps.

Can't help with the pda.

Ray vk2tv