[OZAPRS] OZAPRS Digest, Vol 8, Issue 24 How Often is Too Often?

Tony Hunt wavetel at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 24 18:26:37 EST 2010

This post was originally about the question of How Often is Too Often? and I
messed up the thread. Appologies for that.

Well corner pegging per say is not the real problem. Its really about
excessive traffic agreed. Thats the actual problem.
If we go back to your original question "How Often is Too Often?" . The
answer to that question would logically involve a unit of time in seconds or
minutes one would expect.

Now with corner pegging the algorythms (or however you spell it) link
direction-time-speed all together as a complex variable. So now the question
you asked is like asking how long is a peice of string and saying the answer
is in kilograms.

Unless you are really careful and understand Corner pegging and have a
accurate way of measuring what your results are then be very careful with
it. Relying on the network to digipeat and then the Internet servers to pass
it the Findu and APRS.fi is not a measuring tool. As you have noticed out
your way the network is not that brilliant with mobiles as yet. Services
like Findu etc dont allways get and store the frames either (they get lost)
.

Currently it looks like your running a fillin digi Darryl as 5HZ-2 and so is
Paul for the last few days as 5VCO-1 but I am only going by his Symbol Icon
as I have not seen any frames Digied through him to date. I am seeing you
track up Salisbury highway at present with regular digipeats via 5TTY-1
RHO-1 also RLH-1 at times. I have not seen any Digipeats from your digi
either.

Stuart is also running Telemetry frames with regularity from his mobile. Not
sure if he is actually using/monitoring these at all.
http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VK5ade-9

Back to the 16Km/Hr point. The idea behind those sugested Tiny Traker setups
was to create a good starting point as Scott pointed out. Also to take
advantage of the ability to automatically change the beacon rate when
mobile. Looking at the manual for the TT3 it says this.
SmartBeaconing Fast Speed, Fast Rate

This setting sets the SmartBeaconing fast speed (MPH) and rate (seconds).
Speeds faster than the fast speed will cause

TinyTrak3 to beacon at the Fast Rate. Fast Speed must be set higher than
Slow Speed.

So once your over 10MPH then the traker will change to beaconing every 120
seconds in that example. Then you couple with that the setting in Minimum
turn time because smart beaconing is enabled and the tracker is moving.
Basically there will be times that the trakker beacons more regularly than
120 seconds.

Tony Hunt VK5AH  wavetel at internode.on.net