[OZAPRS] question suitable handhelds

VK6 UFO vk6ufo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 19:31:44 EST 2010

> I am back with a question,
> I am looking for info has anybody used a Puxing 777 for aprs currently I
> am looking for a lower powered transmitter, the pux does 5 watts on hi,
> 1 watt low power.

Hi Paul, I'm using a PX-777+ which is working well considering the poor
antenna (will fix that soon)
I'm powering the PX from a LM-317K voltage regulator set to 8.2 volts in
place of the battery.
It's connected to an OpenTracker+ using the "free earpiece/mic". I hacked
the mike and earpiece off and wired the cable straight to the OT+.
(Unfortunately it appears the OT+ is sending invalid packets since I
switched to compressed data)

> Or are there any other radios (handheld) that people have used that work
> not to bad.

I used a VX-3 for a while but that was temporary. You probably wouldn't want
to use one. Too expensive for APRS and underpowered.

Cheers

--
———————
Rob VK6UFO