[OZAPRS] question suitable handhelds

Dave Ingram bulk at ingramtech.com
Sat Jan 30 09:34:19 EST 2010

On 29/01/2010 10:43, Paul Mullins wrote:
> Hi there all,
> I am back with a question,
> I am looking for info has anybody used a Puxing 777 for aprs currently I
> am looking for a lower powered transmitter, the pux does 5 watts on hi,
> 1 watt low power.
>
> Or are there any other radios (handheld) that people have used that work
> not to bad.

I've used a couple of Chinese handhelds, and in my opinion the PX-777 is the
pick of them. The PX-888 might be better, but that came out after I made my
purchases.

The keys work well, the encoder on the top is reliable and the screen is easy
to read. I know that this is irrelevant to APRS, but it indicates to me that
the build quality is good.

I've built an OT1+ and PX777 into a Pelican case. Details are at:
http://ingramtech.com/2007/09/track-in-the-box
http://www.ingramtech.com/photos/main.php?g2_itemId=727

I used the Kenwood lead from Argent Data rather than wrecking a speaker-mic.

The PX777 can be purchased off eBay, from a Hong Kong online store and from US
makers of trackers. Email me off list if you'd like a suggestion.

David.
--
David Ingram (VK4TDI)
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia