[OZAPRS] question suitable handhelds

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Fri Jan 29 12:01:24 EST 2010

Paul,
	I don't use a handheld in the car. I'm using a pensioned off MCX-100 for VHF
and Wagner 1729 for HF.
	To avoid flattening my battery, I have implemented a timer using a PICAXE
which keeps both radios going (when enabled) for 30 mins after the car is
turned off.
	I have also implemented a soft-start feature that allows the car to start
before the radios are turned on and when they are turned on, they come on one
at a time so they aren't transmitting at the same time.
	Probably not the answer you are looking for but is an option if all your only
requirement is to not kill your battery.

Ian
VK1IAN