[OZAPRS] Why doesn't Northern Tasmania gate VK3 callsigns?

Email Lists lists at vk7ax.id.au
Sat Feb 13 20:47:39 EST 2010

more appropriate to ask the "APRS experts" within the VK7 North West and
Northern areas who some time ago leveled innuendo and critisism at my
Igate and RF digi configurations and station setup.

At that time there were NO other Igates or RF Digis in place within the
Northern half of VK7.
Early users promoting APRS within VK7 at that time were VK7ZSJ, VK7AX
and VK7HDM in the South.

Without any real coordinated planning these "Johnny come lateley"
experts appeared doing their own thing without  any real co-ordination
or planning for the proposed national network.        3 Digis  were
planned for the North,   VK7RAA, VK7RAC and one for VK7RAE.
Two of these were commissioned and placed on air.       VK7RAE was ready
to be commissioned, however criticism as mentioned above led to this
Digi scrapped and never commissioned.

Further to this other "fill in Digis" appeared, one within a 1KM of my
own RF Digi!  without any discussion or planning.

I asked myself the question "Why am I providing such a service when
others  are just wanting to overide  and duplicate  my efforts"

I have thus discontinued with the Igating of RF traffic to the Internet
and vice versa.   I do still however Gate to the Internet my local and
Club networks.

The RF and TNC equipment is now being utilised on other amateur modes.
I have obviously lost a lot of enthusiasm towards  APRS  mainly due to
the attitude shown by others towards someone who has provided facilities
for the enjoyment of ALL amateurs.

Tony VK7AX.