[OZAPRS] Quadrant aerial

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Dec 16 18:57:54 EST 2010

Hi Gerard,

It's probably just as well that I'm too busy with other matters to rush
into how to feed the WQ antenna.

The biggest problem I see with an 1100 ohm Q section is, with 2m between
the wires, how does it maintain balance. That arrangement really is
impractical.

Re Delta matching, the antenna relies on phase quadrature between the
two legs to produce omni radiation. I'm still trying to grasp the
concept of offset feed. I may be worrying about nothing and, if I had a
bit more time I'd probably be able to nut it out. It's not a priority
for now. I do, however, want to get away from having to make 'at height'
adjustments - such as the T-match.

I don't see any issues with an ATU outside of voltage considerations.
It's still not my favoured method.

I must investigate cascaded Q-sections to see if I can achieve something
more acceptable from a line construction perspective.

Space and height are not problems but I really don't want a vertical
antenna. I did think about a ground plane at one stage but trees are
cheap here and they don't need radials. A 30m J-pole? Now that would be
a tall antenna.

Cheers ... Ray