[OZAPRS] Quadrant aerial

Gerard Hill vk2io at amsat.org
Tue Dec 21 08:20:44 EST 2010

Hi Ray,

I think you're right about the 'at height' adjustments - that would
knock out a lot of matching mechanisms. With (3), the adjustment point
is close to the ground and very simple - perhaps the best of the bunch.

Any reason for not wanting a vertical? If the ground plane can be
eliminated then its pretty simple to set up. With the 30m J-pole, the
height can be reduced by running the matching section horizontally. It
doesn't radiate so there's no particular reason to having it vertical.
The height is reduced to a half wavelength. Still tall for 30m, but not
monstrous.

Cheers ... Gerard, VK2IO

On 16/12/2010 6:57 PM, Ray Wells wrote:
> Hi Gerard,
>
> It's probably just as well that I'm too busy with other matters to rush
> into how to feed the WQ antenna.
>
> The biggest problem I see with an 1100 ohm Q section is, with 2m between
> the wires, how does it maintain balance. That arrangement really is
> impractical.
>
> Re Delta matching, the antenna relies on phase quadrature between the
> two legs to produce omni radiation. I'm still trying to grasp the
> concept of offset feed. I may be worrying about nothing and, if I had a
> bit more time I'd probably be able to nut it out. It's not a priority
> for now. I do, however, want to get away from having to make 'at height'
> adjustments - such as the T-match.
>
> I don't see any issues with an ATU outside of voltage considerations.
> It's still not my favoured method.
>
> I must investigate cascaded Q-sections to see if I can achieve something
> more acceptable from a line construction perspective.
>
> Space and height are not problems but I really don't want a vertical
> antenna. I did think about a ground plane at one stage but trees are
> cheap here and they don't need radials. A 30m J-pole? Now that would be
> a tall antenna.
>
> Cheers ... Ray
>
> On 16/12/10 04:48, Gerard Hill wrote:
>> Thanks, Ray.
>>
>> From 1, the balun takes you from 50 ohms to 200 ohms, then the Q
>> section with 1100 ohm line transforms that up to 6050 ohms. I expect
>> the impedance of a Wells' quadrant aerial would be something like that
>> of a full-wave doublet i.e. 2000-6000 ohms, so you'd need some way to
>> adjust the matching. With (1), you'd need some way to keep the Q
>> section physically stable over the full 7m length. You could adjust
>> the separation of the wires for a good match.
>>
>> With a Delta match (2), I'm not sure of your concern. A T-match is
>> better anyway - more balanced. One advantage is that it's adjustable.
>>
>> As for (3), I've been considering building a big J-pole for 30m using
>> 300 ohm ribbon for the matching and antenna. Have started on a 20m
>> version to see how it goes. Had not planned on the 4:1 balun - just a
>> direct coax connection with a choke on the outside of the coax. One
>> issue is that a lot of height is needed so I plan to support the 20m
>> version using a kite during testing.
>>
>> An ATU (5) would not cope with the high impedance of the quadrant
>> without assistance, it seems.
>>
>> Option (6) is still a good one. Could also try a vertical dipole if
>> you have the height.
>>
>> Maybe I got the expurgated version - or perhaps option (4) was too
>> horrible to consider :-)
>>
>> Cheers ... Gerard, VK2IO
>>
>> On 12/12/2010 2:16 PM, Ray Wells wrote:
>>> Gerard,
>>>
>>> 1. My preferred (simplest) method is a Q-section to a 4:1 balun.
>>> However, that method is non-adjustable, except by changing the Zo of the
>>> Q-section. A serious disadvantage is that an 1100 ohm Q-section requires
>>> 2, 0.5mm wires spaced 2m apart - not very practical, to say the very