[OZAPRS] Quadrant aerial

Gerard Hill vk2io at amsat.org
Thu Dec 16 04:48:09 EST 2010

Thanks, Ray.

 From 1, the balun takes you from 50 ohms to 200 ohms, then the Q
section with 1100 ohm line transforms that up to 6050 ohms. I expect the
impedance of a Wells' quadrant aerial would be something like that of a
full-wave doublet i.e. 2000-6000 ohms, so you'd need some way to adjust
the matching. With (1), you'd need some way to keep the Q section
physically stable over the full 7m length. You could adjust the
separation of the wires for a good match.

With a Delta match (2), I'm not sure of your concern. A T-match is
better anyway - more balanced. One advantage is that it's adjustable.

As for (3), I've been considering building a big J-pole for 30m using
300 ohm ribbon for the matching and antenna. Have started on a 20m
version to see how it goes. Had not planned on the 4:1 balun - just a
direct coax connection with a choke on the outside of the coax. One
issue is that a lot of height is needed so I plan to support the 20m
version using a kite during testing.

An ATU (5) would not cope with the high impedance of the quadrant
without assistance, it seems.

Option (6) is still a good one. Could also try a vertical dipole if you
have the height.

Maybe I got the expurgated version - or perhaps option (4) was too
horrible to consider :-)

Cheers ... Gerard, VK2IO