[OZAPRS] Internet Servers in Oceania observations and sugestions

Geoff geoff-lists at gatwards.org
Sun Sep 13 10:35:32 EST 2009

third.aprs.net.au  was just a temporary URL set up pointing to one of the NZ
servers whilst we were cutting over some stuff in VK - it's not supposed to
exist at all.

If we (first, second and third) as part of the global Tier2 network
implement the recommended setup for T2 servers, the ONLY port available
would be 14580, and all users need to define the filter they want manually..

The reason for this is exactly as pointed out here - any other port may have
different settings between servers.  As part of the Tier2 network, we're in
a GLOBAL environment, so the only standard port is 14580.

There is another ocianea rotate URL  aunz.aprs2.net  that consists of the
following servers:

T2APRSNZ

T2AUST                (first.aprs.net.au)

T2NZAA                (third.aprs.net.au)

T2SYDNEY            (second.aprs.net.au)

If we standardize the 14577, 14578 and 14579 ports on these four servers
then both the T2 URL and APRS.AU URL will work anywhere, however

If you can use 14580 and a custom filter, PLEASE DO SO. this is the
preferred connection method to ANY server globally.

Regards,

Geoff