[OZAPRS] Update VK7HSE-3 I-Gate & Digi (Southern VK7)

Scott Evans scott at vk7hse.hobby-site.org
Thu Sep 10 10:47:37 EST 2009

for clarification(not that its needed!) here's a copy if my initial
enquiry to the T2 coordinator...

> Thank you for your interest in T2!  I apologize for the delay - I was
> on
> holiday and am just getting caught up on everything.
>
> To answer your second question first, we are always looking to expand
> our network with reliable servers around the world.  Sure, the
> argument
> could be made against building up too much density in one
> geographical
> region of the world, but even with that in mind, I don't see 4
> servers
> in Oceania being extreme.
>
> As far as the requirements go, they are simple yet specific.  First,
> we
> all run javAPRSSrvr software, which will run on any OS platform.  A
> solid internet connection with a decent amount of bandwidth available
> for the upstream (we usually consider 256K a minimum) and a static
> IPv4
> address are needed (IPv6 optional but encouraged, as we like to try
> stay on the cutting edge).  After that, we simply ask that you stay
> up-to-date with the software releases, and participate as you see fit
> in
> the discussions with other Tier 2 sysops about how to keep the
> network
> running well or better.  I know for awhile (I think this was a couple
> of
> years past) there was some concern from our current Oceania sysops
> about
> the prices for bandwidth, but I don't know what the current situation
> is
> there.
>
> That's about it!  If you have any other questions, feel free to
> contact
> me again.  More information about the server software can be found
> here
> http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSSrvr/
>
> 73
> Phil Pacier - AD6NH
> APRS Tier2 Coordinator
>
> Scott Evans wrote:
> > Hi... I'm interested in the possibility of running a T2 server,
> > however I would like a rough guide as to the requirements needed...
> as
> > in connection speed prefered configuration etc...
> >
> > There are already 3 T2 server here in Australia/New Zealand so is
> it
> > worth while?
> >
> > any input appreciated! thanks...

So from that all I was missing was the fixed IP...

As for using DNS services yes I already used DynDNS for my server
(vk7hse.hobby-site.org) with both the server and router set to update
when an IP rotation occurs. and yes all the ports that need to be opened
to the outside world are set in the router as there are 2 PC's sharing
the tasks, an IBM eSERVER 220 for my email/web and an IBM NetVista
(forget model no. but not important!) all PC's are covered by UPS
(including router & switch) but usually when there a power outage the
local exchange drops ADSL anyway so there really isn't much gained
there!

Also to clarify for VK2TDS,
when using APRSD on amd64 when a connection to it from XASTIR, APRSD
would segfault and was no longer! so not much point in using APRSD if it
was going to do that! also the amd64 is my current desktop, and I was
using it for my day to day use as well as packet. however I decided to
reuse the PC I used (when running win-XP & ui-view32) for my I-Gate some
time back and it is of course i386 so there be the reason! yes I could
have stuck with APRSD now that I was back on a i386 platform but I had
requested to Pete Loveall AE5PL for use of javAPRSSrv in June 2008 but I
just never got round to actually using it!

So there ya have it! ;)
--
Scott Evans <scott at vk7hse.hobby-site.org>

If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the
individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately
by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.