[OZAPRS] Update VK7HSE-3 I-Gate & Digi (Southern VK7)

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu Sep 10 08:06:14 EST 2009

It's not just needing a fixed IP - yes, dyndns is great for getting at
a box whose IP changes, but for a long-term connection like APRS (and
don't be fooled by the fact that you fire up UIView/xastir/winaprs for
an hour or two a day, there are folks with 3-4 month connections on
the T2 servers) your APRS server will need to be on the same IP for
months at a time.

It's also bandwidth - and ADSL (unless you're on Open 2), simply
doesn't have the outbound bandwidth needed to support a T2 server!
Right now, second is maintaining 6kbytes/sec in, and 11kbytes/sec out..

And of course, actual availability - yes, the rotate address somewhat
alleviates server outages, but a home machine (ps, i'm confused, why
switch from aprsd to javaprsd because of x86_64, if you're running on
i386 anyway?), on home quality power and internet, just doesn't have
the same reliability as a server-class machine in an office (though
office is only marginally better for power or connectivity unless it's
proper ATM or MetroE or something similar) or datacenter..

Wanting to help the APRS community out by providing another T2 server
is a Good Thing (TM), don't get me wrong!  But unless you've got at
least 128k of reliable bandwidth in/out to dedicate to the task (and
about 30gb/month of data), a good reliable power supply, and a good
reliable box, it ends up being a bit more hassle on the admins, and
the user community, than it's worth. :\

Cheers,

DG