[OZAPRS] Temporary IGate for JOTA question.

Steve stevez at tpg.com.au
Tue Oct 13 20:48:52 EST 2009

Hello all,

During JOTA this weekend, our district (Black Range, NSW) will be
running up to five back-pack trackers during a scout navigation exercise.

I'd like to have this gated to the APRS-IS network but we are in a bit
of a VHF hole (we are near Canberra, but we even have trouble getting
into the mighty VK1RGI from there!).
I will have Internet access from our site, and I will be taking an
Xastir box.
I have had a careful read of the APRS-IS stuff, and I understand that if
I don't have a verification number (or pass-code as Xastir calls it),
then I can receive data from APRS-IS, but never send to RF. Does this
also mean that I will never send to the APRS-IS network at all?

I don't really need to send to RF. I'd just like to have the kids
running around the bush show up on the normal APRS related sites like findu.

Can this be done, or will I need a verification number?
If I do need one, how do I go about getting one? I'd only want it for
the weekend as the Canberra area is well served with I-Gates already.

Thanks in advance,

Steve (VK2ZSZ)