No subject

Mon Oct 12 04:43:17 EST 2009

once the speed is increased.  And, other than yourself, I have had no
interest in UHF APRS in Brisbane area other than myself.  I put it up mainly
for myself, as David (VK4TDI) has indicated, for portable ops while
operating a field portable contests and for when I go camping on Moreton Is.
The only other option for field portable ops (other than VHF) is NextG data,
which can get expensive.  It seemed to be the most effective way of
receiving DXCluster spots now that most of the packet infrastructure has
been decommissioned.

The UHF Igate was never intended for mobile applications.  With the amount
of traffic (VK/ZL/Amsat/WE7U) there is not much opportunity for packets from
the field to be received/gated.  My view is that the UHF IGate provides an
alternative to Internet connections when users wanted more than just the
local situation on their maps.

I also noticed very early on that my HamHUD in the car cannot handle the
amount of traffic on 439.100, in that it cannot display the data fast
enough, but, a AGWTracker/UIView/Xastir laptop with a TNC handles the stream
with ease.  I would also expect that the Kenwoods would have trouble
scrolling fast enough, but not owning one this is a guess.  Mobile flutter
is also an issue on 70cm, when I was doing the initial testing with minimal
TCPIP packets, it was a hit and miss affair even when close to the IGate.

I had considered going to 9k6 in the past, but my funds are limited.  I
cannot justify purchasing KPC9612 TNCs (or similar) plus dedicating a 9k6
capable radio to the task.  At the moment it's a poverty solution using a
TNC-X and FT1807, the cheapest possible way.  My approach was to put it up,
and if there was enough interest develop the idea (digi-peaters etc).  To
date, with minimal interest and with my limited funds going toward other
projects, it has stayed at 1k2.

I wonder if the Igate was upgraded to 9k6, would there be more users?

However, if you are willing to lend me a TNC, I can press into a service a
spare FT8800 or FT7800 for a period of time.

Or, I am happy to shut down the 439.100 IGate at my place so you can run it
from your place at 9k6.  Alternatively another frequency can be selected for
9k6 trials, I had intended to propose this nationally given 439.100 is also
used in Melbourne at 1k2.

Any comment on that?

Regards,
Peter Schrader (VK4EA, ex VK4TGV)