[OZAPRS] Re: Foundation calls gentle reminder

Craig Cook VK3CMC at bigpond.com.au
Sun Mar 22 03:32:21 EST 2009

Hello Kim,  have been following the thread of this conversation  and would
also like to add my view on the matter.

The Foundation licence WAS introduced to a market area that was intended to
be exactly what it is.  An introductory or entry level into radio as a
hobby.
It earmarked those who already had an interest in electronics and also
wanted to gain access to more and better frequencies for both long range
communications and also to sample some of the delights [not all] of what can
be done in our bands.  Many of these people came from the area of the CB
radio user, who really had no training that could bring them into the
Amateur arena without some serious study.
You must also remember that the new licence has introduced very many younger
people [8 years upwards] into hobby that would probably never had dreamed of
doing so in the past. We now find that there are many families parents and
children, that have a licence that does allow them a new experience and
convenience of keeping in touch when out and about.  Remember the explosion
of the mobile phone and how quickly they appeared in the hands of just about
everyone in the developed world.    I understand what you are saying about
the use of different modes and how that may "discourage" some but there has
to be a line drawn and to be realistic some of these special modes you
suggest that should be available are not available in the radio equipment
that a Foundation licensee can only use under the power restrictions
required.
Provided that they wish to use such privileges, and that is what they are,
then the individual should be able to set their heart on gaining an
increased licence qualification and show they have a deeper understanding of
the wider technical picture. If  something is really worth having then its
worth an individual making some commitment and put their full effort into
achieving that goal.

There was at the start of this, and still is a very strong belief by many
amateurs that the foundation licence  gained  more frequency  privileges
than they should have been given. Like your comments re different modes it
will continue to provoke comments and arguments for and against.
In the end we may see some regulatory change in this matter but it may never
happen if the ACMA feels it is adequately catering to the original needs of
the new Foundation licence.

One thing we must not forget is the intent of the licence was to introduce a
much lesser technical licence level and to start to increase the amateur
fraternity size as it was becoming [generally] an older person hobby.
Recent figure released by the ACMA would indicate that our ranks have
definitely gained an increase as a result.   Following on from that there
are also quite a few new arrivals who have made the technical leap up and
gained their Standard and their Advanced licence, thus gaining those extra
privileges such as modes to play with, higher power and some more
frequencies and the right to "dabble ' within their equipment if they so
wish to do some technical work inside.

We need to also remember that the new licence started at same time the
requirement to have to pass a CW proficiency test was removed and this also
opened the gates to a number of people who would never be able to gain the
certificate or who used the CW barrier as an excuse to not give it a try.

Although we are living in the modern world we everyone seems to want
something for nothing we mustn't sell ourselves short in every thing and we
do need to have some limitations on our rights of privilege for the licence
system.  If we really want something that bad then we can always put the
head down and tail up and study a little bit more and achieve the goal.
Its not a right but a privilege we earn to be called radio amateurs.

I am sure that you can with a little bit of further effort gain your
increased privileges and step up into the next level of the hobby.

All the best for the future.

73.
Craig Cook
VK3CMC