[OZAPRS] Re: Foundation calls gentle reminder

Kim Hawtin kim at hawtin.net.au
Sun Mar 22 14:21:13 EST 2009

Hi Craig,

Craig Cook wrote:
> [...]
> a new experience and convenience of keeping in touch when out and
> about.  Remember the explosion of the mobile phone and how quickly they
> appeared in the hands of just about everyone in the developed world.
> I understand what you are saying about the use of different modes and
> how that may "discourage" some but there has to be a line drawn and to
> be realistic some of these special modes you suggest that should be
> available are not available in the radio equipment that a Foundation
> licensee can only use under the power restrictions required.
> Provided that they wish to use such privileges, and that is what they
> are, then the individual should be able to set their heart on gaining an
> increased licence qualification and show they have a deeper
> understanding of the wider technical picture. If  something is really
> worth having then its worth an individual making some commitment and put
> their full effort into achieving that goal.
>
> There was at the start of this, and still is a very strong belief by
> many amateurs that the foundation licence  gained  more frequency
> privileges than they should have been given. Like your comments re
> different modes it will continue to provoke comments and arguments for
> and against.
> In the end we may see some regulatory change in this matter but it may
> never happen if the ACMA feels it is adequately catering to the original
> needs of the new Foundation licence.
>
> One thing we must not forget is the intent of the licence was to
> introduce a much lesser technical licence level and to start to increase
> the amateur fraternity size as it was becoming [generally] an older
> person hobby. Recent figure released by the ACMA would indicate that our
> ranks have definitely gained an increase as a result.   Following on
> from that there are also quite a few new arrivals who have made the
> technical leap up and gained their Standard and their Advanced licence,
> thus gaining those extra privileges such as modes to play with, higher
> power and some more frequencies and the right to "dabble ' within their
> equipment if they so wish to do some technical work inside.
>
> We need to also remember that the new licence started at same time the
> requirement to have to pass a CW proficiency test was removed and this
> also opened the gates to a number of people who would never be able to
> gain the certificate or who used the CW barrier as an excuse to not give
> it a try.
>
> Although we are living in the modern world we everyone seems to want
> something for nothing we mustn't sell ourselves short in every thing and
> we do need to have some limitations on our rights of privilege for the
> licence system.  If we really want something that bad then we can always
> put the head down and tail up and study a little bit more and achieve
> the goal. Its not a right but a privilege we earn to be called radio

You know to be fair you guys are probably right.

I wouldn't be on this path if the easy step up to the foundation license
wasn't there. Its the digital work that interests me most. So its a bit
disappointing that there isn't any in the foundation license. However...

> I am sure that you can with a little bit of further effort gain your
> increased privileges and step up into the next level of the hobby.

... thats what I have been busy doing. Also I have spent some time
with a couple of local HAMs to get an understanding of ideas/concepts
I didn't really grok before. So far, inductance is the only thing that
isn't really intuitive yet. I don't have an electronics background, but
more "hands on" time will help with that I'm sure. My background is mostly
programming and Internet facing server stuff on Unix.

Between work and studying, I haven't had time for a lot else (including email).
However I make time for local club meets, the broadcast and the AHARS Monday
night net. Getting there slowly...

> All the best for the future.

Thanks.

regards,