[OZAPRS] Re: Foundation calls gentle reminder

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Fri Mar 20 20:00:57 EST 2009

Kim Hawtin wrote:
> Hi Hamish,
>
> Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 09:29:34AM +0100, Mike Zwingl oe3mzc wrote:
>>
>>> just a quick input from an outsider (European):
>>> we have recently abolished ALL LIMITATIONS ON MODES in amateur radio
>>> legislation here.
>>>
>>> So entry-level liceces are just limited in frequency bands and power
>>> and they are not supposed to build a transmitter on their own,
>>> but beside this, every area for experiments is open to them.
>>>

> It sounds like Europe is the place to be getting in HAM radio...
>
> Perhaps the ACAM is catering more to the appliance operators?
>
> What ever happened to the "clever country" tag we worked so hard for?
>

>> In Australia it is all by bandwidth for advanced and standard licenses,
>> only the foundation license has mode restrictions.
>>
>> Specifically it allows only:
>> 80m, 40m, 15m: 200HA1A (CW), 8KA3E (AM voice), 4KJ3E (SSB voice);
>> 10m, 2m, 70cm: the same, plus 16KF3E and 16KG3E (FM voice).
>>
>> Other licenses are allowed any mode up to 8kHz up to and including 12m,
>> 16kHz on 10m, 100kHz on 6m and 2m, and anything at all above that.
>>
>> This is a lot more relaxed than the previous regulations which had
>> sub-bands on 2m, mode restrictions etc.
>>

> regards,
>
> Kim VK5FNET

Kim,

As I pointed out during the last round, the Foundation Licence is an
elementary, entry level licence that suits the majority of new licencees
who don't want to study for modes they are unlikely to need. Remember
what I said? Very few amateurs use digital modes.

 >What ever happened to the "clever country" tag we worked so hard for?

It's still there for those who want to work hard and who don't expect
privileges handed to them on a a silver platter.

In the last round I offered to help you to achieve you objective to
obtain higher privileges. YOU HAVEN'T TAKEN UP MY OFFER OF HELP,  which
leads me to suspect you want everything without having to work for it.

Wake up and smell the flowers, it doesn't work that way.

My offer of help is now withdrawn.

Am I annoyed? You bet.

Ray vk2tv