[OZAPRS] HF APRS

David and Justine Olsen davejust at bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 30 08:40:54 EST 2009

Robert

I agree a 20m HF gate in NZ would be good and would somewhat fill the
hole, though again I've run predictions for remote areas of VK to ZL
and find sigs of S5 or less, compared to higher signal strengths
predicted for 40m within VK using VK gates. The answer is for sure
more gates on as many frequencies as possible, so maybe we need to
help our fellow amateurs get involved more in HF APRS.

Jack's successes yesterday and the number of stations I've copied
over the last few days and nights makes me feel positive about 40m
APRS here in VK. It seems weak signals, phase distortion and whatever
aside, 40m HF APRS for position reporting for remote travelers in VK,
who don't have access to 30m is a reliable option as long as you
don't want minute by minute reporting. This is exactly what I had
hoped for.

I would love to see a 20m gate in NZ to give another option, and I
would love to see a number of igates on 40m, in addition to those on
30m and 20m already.

Many thanks to those who have helped with the testing. I am happy to
leave my igate running on 40m 24/7 now until I leave to go touring
the deserts. I hope to have Tx ability today so I can beacon on 40m.

David
VK4MDX

I think it is logical that we use each others gates