[OZAPRS] HF APRS

David and Justine Olsen davejust at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 29 09:19:47 EST 2009

Rob

I agree more coverage is needed but still believe 14 MHz is not the
best choice for propagation when you consider who is most likely to
use HF APRS for position reporting.. The stations that use HF APRS
tend to be away from the VHF services, generally in more remote areas
of the country, often on holiday. Given this and the nature of HF
propagation meaning position reports are less often received by
gates, most people traveling and using HF APRS in remote areas would
be happy if position reports were available for them morning and
afternoon, perhaps indicating where they camped.

I've looked at propagation predictions for current ionosphere's and
conclude 14 MHz gives poor coverage of these remoter areas.

See my blog comments here -http://www.blognow.com.au/vk4mdx/131710/
APRS_-_The_case_for_more_iGates_on_frequencies_other_than_30m_in_VK.html

However, I agree with Ray that more gates on the more frequencies
would be great.

David VK4MDX