[OZAPRS] HF APRS

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sun Mar 29 08:25:54 EST 2009

Rob,

Do you think that both ZLs and VKs might be a bit parochial, perfering
to hit Igates in their own country, or don't they care? I have no
opinion either way, just letting my mind do some wandering and wondering.

For point-to-point (and small area) plots I find the IPS Grafex charts
useful as well. (You need java, and pops enabled for the site to see the
chart). Grafex shows a range of frequencies for various times of the day
- optimum working, maximum useable, etc, and propagation modes.
http://www.ips.gov.au/HF_Systems/7/1/4

Having used (0k3) HF for packet since 1997 or 1998 when I started with a
30m bbs port, and then added both 20m and 40m ports, my observations
about phase distortion don't align with Rob's. We found that it was a
curse on 20m on an 1100km path from here to a vk5. It can also be a
curse on 40m. Strangely, it seldom affected 30m, and I don't know why.
I'm not saying it didn't happen, but if present it had little over all
impact on forwarding. Of course, with bbs forwarding, one isn't
constantly monitoring the frequency and as long as the mail moves one
can conclude that things are ok, even if at times they are not.

The reality of the situation with HF is that it suffers from the mood
swings of Mother Nature and any band can be affected from time to time,
and we need to be as flexible as we can to cater for those times. That
may even mean adopting Rob's idea and becoming familiar with propagation
charts, in advance of a trip, to optimise the possibility of being heard.

Regardless, the largest network possible, utilising the maximum number
of bands will provide the best outcome, in my opinion.

Ray vk2tv