[OZAPRS] JVC/KENWOOD/TM-D700A-Remote Head "CAUTION"]

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu Feb 12 13:27:17 EST 2009

On 12/02/2009, at 4:46 AM, Phillip wrote:
> CAUTION:  Do not remove the remote head or unplug the remote head
> cable
> from the radio unless the 12VDC power supply has been turned off and
> the
> voltage has drained down to zero VDC.  The potential for momentary
> shorts in the RJ11 connector are high.  Kenwood has experience a
> number
> of 9VDC power supply failures due to station operators disconnecting
> and
> reconnecting the remote head while the 12VDC power supply is ON.

That seems like a bizarrely huge design fault??

Maybe I'm picturing it wrong, but if it's anything like the remote
head on my Yaesu FT8100R, the remote head just unclips like a normal
car radio head, and is meant to be taken with you when you leave the
car to dissuade theft? Come to think of it, even my GME UHF cb remote
head unclips by loosening two thumbscrews, and then unclipping the
cable..  Is the D700 not setup the same way?

Cheers,

DG

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust