[OZAPRS] Alice Springs & VK8 APRS

Ian Bennett ibennett at tpg.com.au
Thu Dec 10 07:23:58 EST 2009

Andrew,
	I went up Hay River and then back across the Simpson Desert in July. My HF
APRS is on 30m and feedback from friends and relatives was it was like
watching us within city limits.
	30m is particularly well served with IGATEs and I managed posits in through
VK2TV-4, VK4UN-4, VK4DMI-4, VK7DIK-4, VK8AB-4 and ZL3REW. I even managed a
few in through N8OVD which is located south of Lafayette in Louisiana in the
US; some 15000Kms!!!
	My HF APRS setup consists of a home made whip connected to a Wagner 1729 with
a OpenTracker buried inside.
	The Wagner is a crystal controlled, 50W commercial radio used by the SES many
years ago (70's and 80's I think). Originally designed to operate up to 7MHz,
a mate coaxed the  one I have to go up as far as 10M for APRS. For photos of
my setup (and how I got there) see here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2014987&id=1097597881&l=7a1630233a
	I was watching the BMARC expedition but the track stopped at Birdsville. I
subsequently found out that their "gateway" vehicle suffered a major
mechanical failure. No idea why but I suspect they may have been travelling a
bit quick since bikes can go a lot faster than cars in that terrain.

Ian
VK1IAN