[OZAPRS] Alice Springs & VK8 APRS

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Thu Dec 10 06:58:06 EST 2009

Andrew,

I think you'll find we are unaware of any gateway in Alice Springs but
it has been talked about here in the past. A 30m gateway would be a very
useful supplement to the 30m gateways scattered around coastal towns.
However, at 223km distance from Alice Springs you'd be too far for VHF,
and mostly too close for HF. 30m, e.g. is very reliable from about 900km
to 2300km.

I'm located just a few km west of the Pacific Hwy and passing 30m aprs
stations only get into here for a few km or so each side of the town,
but I hear vk3, vk4 and vk5 gateways almost all day.

I don't know how successful it was but there was talk on here of the
Blue Mountains Club Expedition using a vehicle as a vhf/hf gateway.
However,  the distance you mentioned to a support vehicle - within 50km
- would be a tad far for a 2m equipped walker to reach reliably.
Logically, you would get some hits to that vehicle at closer distances.
An efficient antenna at the pedestrian end would provide better results
than a -20dB Rubber Ducky. A short mast supporting the antenna on the
mobile would also assist with range.

HF on 30m would be your most reliable option, given the number of
permanent gateways and, it is less susceptible to the vagaries of
propagation and atmospheric noises than 40m. Portable antennas are also
smaller and, in the case of mobile whips, more efficient for a given
length antenna.

The were a lot of contributions to TAPR's aprs SIG a while back to do
with walking the Appalachian Trail. Maybe a search of the archives will
shed some light on options.

Ray vk2tv