[OZAPRS] APRS questions from VK6HV

Geoff geoff-lists at gatwards.org
Sat Dec 5 09:06:28 EST 2009

Steve,

I got your mail via Grant yesterday - No idea why the qrz.com one bounced..

As the others have mentioned, the way to do this is definitely set up a WIDE
digipeater at the repeater site, your best bet would be an FM828 and TNC2
running UIDigi firmware - that way you are standardized with the rest of the
digipeaters in VK.

The IGate you would run from home, or anywhere with Internet access and
enough RF coverage to get to the digipeater.  The IGate needs to run a
proper APRS-IS client, eg UIView, Xastir or if it's only going to be a
'headless' IGate run javAPRSSrvr.

You can't just connect to the APRS server IP's and send the data from the
TNC in - it has to be reformatted into the APRS-IS format, which adds IGate
headers and loop detection fields and more...

Regards,

Geoff   VK2XJG