[OZAPRS] [Fwd: Re: APRS questions from VK6HV]

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sat Dec 5 08:16:21 EST 2009

Not sure if my post with an attachment got though so here's a repeat
without the image.

Ray vk2tv

Steve/All,

Given your parameters 1, 2 & 3, I can't help but feel you're failing
with every one of them with your proposal, by using excessive rack
space, increased power demand beyond what's "really" needed, and you'll
add to the heat in the hut.

Have you thought of doing it in a more traditional way - a radio plus a
TNC2 compatible TNC, running UIDigi, on the hill, and use a remote
Igate? Basic, simple and proven reliability in thousands of
installations around the world.

You don't have users "now" but if you provide the digi facility you
provide the incentive. The "traditional" way also provides a system that
can properly deal with fill-in Wide1-1 digis to fill holes. I don't mean
to imply the TT4 doesn't - I don't know its capabilities. The TT3 is
unsuitable because it's only a dumb tracker with no receive decode
facilities - but it's great for driving around and testing your new toy
on the hill. :-)

I wouldn't cripple the installation by making it rx only, which is how I
read your proposal. If you make it a full digi it can;
transmit the location of mobiles to other (suitably equipped) mobiles,
and home stations
transmit the frequency of the 2m repeater as a periodic beacon to advise
(amateur) travellers in the region.
transmit club meeting times (if there's a club)
transmit weather warnings (coastal wind, fire, severe thunderstorm,
flood, other severe weather alerts) for the area from the internet
weather server to RF as a local tool for all and sundry. I have this
information visible on a screen at my local community radio station as a
heads-up for presenters. I also post current weather conditions at local
airports on that screen. The attached screendump provides an indication
of what can be done. There is currently a coastal waters wind warning,
and fire weather warnings for two adjoining areas.

APRS is much more than watching mobiles move about on a map.

Is the BF 430 suitable for the task? In order to upload to aprs-is you
need a passcode, which is unique to each callsign. The aprs application
normally sends that information during establishment of the TCP
connection, and I would question the ability of the BF 430 to do that.
Somebody more knowledgeable than me on the subject might care to shoot
me down in flames if my thinking is incorrect.

If you "really" want the Igate on the hill, you might investigate a
Sheevaplug (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SheevaPlug) running aprsd. The
Sheevaplug is a very low power requirement computer in a large plug
pack. It has a 1.2GHz processor and runs Linux natively. You talk to the
device through USB and Ethernet. They're currently $US99.

Regards,
Ray vk2tv