[OZAPRS] APRS questions from VK6HV

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sat Dec 5 08:13:32 EST 2009

On 05/12/2009, at 12:30 AM, Steve Page wrote:
> I have acquired or have access to the following equipment. Tiny
> Tracker3, Tiny Tracker 4, a model BF-430 RS-232 to TCP/IP converter,
> NetComm N3G002W 3G router and a PCMCIA GSM? (2G) Modem. The NetComm
> Router, PCMCIA card and another BF-430 RS-232 to IP are already being
> successfully used in an AIS system almost exactly what I am trying to
> achieve except the AIS system uses a receiver on 161 and 162 Mhz.
> rather
> then 145.175 Mhz.

That
IS
AWESOME

Seriously, thats just fantastic :)

Although I hate to point out what seems to be the bleedingly obvious,
and may have already been discarded for some reason..

Why are you trying to put the igate on the repeater site??  The usual
way to do it, is setup a WIDE digi at your repeater site, and then
just have the igate *somewhere* within reception range of the digi..
- that way it can live at your house, and you don't have to worry
about getting data out over expensive 3G, or having all that
complicationg in a shack on a hill that you might not be able to get
to easily (the VK1 WIDE isn't accessible half the year..).  I'm pretty
sure every state runs their iGate from a ham's house/place of work,
rather than putting it up on the mountain :)  Although seems a shame
to do away with that awesome setup you've cobbled together! :)

As gavin said, you'll need to login to the APRS server after
connecting (and please use the rotate.aprs.net.au hostname rather than
an IP address - otherwise you're going to have to go for a drive up
the hill when the IP of the server you're using changes! - and being
on 3G, I'd probably have it set a filter that sends you pretty much
nothing (basically just want you want to send out onto RF), to keep
your downloaded data down.  Bear in mind a standard VK/ZL feed from
one of the .aprs.net.au servers is ~300bytes/sec on average (6kbytes/
sec average for the last hour on second, with 21 clients), which works
out around 700mbytes/month of downloaded data on the normal VK/ZL feed..

Cheers,

DG

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust