[OZAPRS] APRS questions from VK6HV

Gavin Rogers grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au
Sat Dec 5 02:22:50 EST 2009

Steve Page wrote:

> What I am unsure about is what to set the IP address and port number to
> on the BF-430? I set the RS-232 side of the converter to 19,200 baud,
> 8, N,1 On the Ethernet side I am unsure what to set it to? Possible
> options are UDPClient or Server, or TCP/IP Client or Server.

G'day Steve.

Great to hear there's interest in aprs up in the Pilbara.

I reckon your solution to the no PC problem is ingenious! You're right
about needing to log on to the aprs server. I did a test connecting with
telnet (oops! forgot to disconnect the i-gate from the Internet for the
test, so the positions appeared online) but the result of the test is
that once you connect to an APRS Internet server and issue the
callsign/aprs password string, it does appear to accept raw TNC packets.

Is your gear able to send a connect string when it first connects with
TCP/IP?

73
Gavin.
--

       Gavin Rogers                     |  Amateur radio station VK6HGR
     http://www.livingwaters.com/good   |     http://vk6hgr.ampr.org/
                MSN/Skype/Email: grogers at vk6hgr.echidna.id.au