[OZAPRS] Vertex New FTM 350 Aprs rig

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Sun Aug 23 19:51:04 EST 2009

On 23/08/2009, at 7:15 PM, James Cameron wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 07:07:52PM +1000, Damien Gardner Jnr wrote:
>> [...] or does it look like the mic is connected into the
>> base rather than the head? What's the point of a remote-head
>> transceiver if the mic plugs into the base unit?
>
> Seems normal to me.  IC-208H does the same, see attached snapshot of
> page 1 of the instruction manual.
>
> For mobile use, the base unit would be placed near the microphone hook
> position, and the head would be placed in the human visual field.
>
> Extending the microphone cable would be the next thing to do.

Weirdness.. Maybe they're not expecting folks to be putting them in
cars with BCM's and ECU's..  I know my commodore doesn't like it when
you hit transmit if the transceiver is inside the cab..  Hell, the BCM
drops the tacho and cruise control whenever HF transmits, if the swr
isn't slightly perfect  (so any time it happens to transmit and you've
got a car beside you or too close in front!

Wonder how a 4m long mic extension would go?!  Only remote head gear I
have (FT8100, and a GME TX3400), the mics plugged into the head units
- just seems strange not to have the mic plug into the head unit!
It's not like any cars built in the last 20 years have room up front
for a transceiver!

Cheers,

DG

Damien Gardner Jnr