[OZAPRS] Tamworth IGate & WX

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Tue Aug 4 10:56:15 EST 2009

Mark,

Tamworth up and running with updates called from crontab at 17 and 47
minutes past each hour. If you want more frequent updates just let me
know. For now they appear to come from VK2WET via vk2tv-4 but when I get
the vk2wet machine installed they'll be via vk2wet which is the Tank FM
ARC. Tank FM's official callsign is 2WET.

The streaming audio was a great deal arranged by the brother of one of
our members who is the IT guy for a large finance company. He's also our
webmaster and is hosting our website at a very modest cost on his own
server in Brisbane. The internet service is from Internode who provided
two ADSL services plus the streaming as a contra-deal for some
sponsorship. They cost us nothing. The first time I have to speak to a
help desk in Shri Lanka I'll be changing from Exetel to Internode!

At our end we have a dedicated Dell Optiplex Small Form Factor machine
running WinXP Pro with SP2. It takes a convenient unbalanced spare feed
from the output of the station's limiter. I was going to run Linux and,
even managed to compile the necessaries and make them work but changed
my mind because I'm the only Linux savvy person in the place.

The vk2wet machine is running Linux (Debian 4.08) and will provide:
network time server to two non-routeable networks
router between those two networks
firewall for the second network
fbb bbs (local 2m port and a 70cm 9k6 link to here)
fpacnode (ax25, Rose & netron routing)
xastir for aprs

The vk2wet machine is still here at the moment due to a heart
transplant. The Dell (Dimension 4600) we were going to use in the studio
for music playback from the digital library had rather severe and
unsolvable latency issues that caused severe chopping of the audio. The
vk2wet Dell (Dimension 4500) machine was fine so I performed two heart
transplants yesterday. The vk2wet machine is running again but minus the
network card I had to steal. You should see vk2wet with the icon H2O on
the map.

I'll copy those files and send them in a P email.

Ray vk2tv