No subject

Sun Aug 23 09:03:27 EST 2009

rig on low power and into a dummy load, and parked outside our house, we
needed to tune that rig in 10 Hz steps (using the mic up/down buttons) to
find the sweet spot for reliable decoding of its transmissions by my home
station.

So lets see what we can make of your posting.  I am as sure as I can be
that VK3MY-3 has his transmissions on RF frequencies of 10.149.700 and
10.149.900, or thereabouts within say 30 Hz, and obviously plus or minus
any small rig differences we will all likely have.  I concede that if I
really wanted to, I could zero-zero my rig, but at the moment its more
effort than the result deserves.

Well if the two frequencies above are about right, and you have a
1600/1800 TNC and are on USB, then some arithmetic would suggest a dial
frequency of 10.148.100, without the 200 Hz dial error that you outlined.
I would like to say that 10.148.100 minus a 200 Hz dial error means you
tune your rig to 10.147.900 (which is the frequency that you say you use)
and it is all explained!

But if I have interpreted you right, the 200 Hz error you talk about is in
the other direction  - you speak of being low and having to come up a bit.
Did they mean low in RF frequency, or low in audio tone?  On USB  raising
the dial frequency lowers the audio tone.  Your message indicates low as
in dial frequency, which would be high in audio sound.  In other words if
you tune to 10.147.900 you are really on 10.147.700?  And so with a
1600/1800 TNC would be using 10.149.300 and 10.149.500?  And I dont have
any other ideas to explain that 400 Hz difference.

It is a pity that in ZL our band plan prohibits SSB on 30m, because a
voice contact between us using the band in question would be a good check.
As an NZART Councillor I have to set a good example so dare not use voice
on 30m or my hand would be smacked by somebody for sure!

Noel ZL3GR

------=_NextPart_001_3043_01C87586.A89CE0A0

<HTML><HEAD>

<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Ron asked;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&gt;I have never disputed that we are on the wrong frequency.&nbsp; =
Having=20
used<BR>my radio on HF USB voice with xtal locked radios, being told to =
"come=20
up<BR>a bit", I found I was reading 200Hz above the nominated=20
frequency.<BR>Considering this, my readout would be 10.147.8 for HF =
packet with=20
the<BR>KAM+..or thereabouts.<BR><BR>&gt;My readout just "ticks" over to=20
10.147.9. This is what I was using to<BR>resolve VK3MY-3.&nbsp; I had 2 =
KAMplus'=20
one on UI-View and one on a Terminal,<BR>both were decoding ok. with the =
pair=20
1600/1800.<BR><BR>&gt;Ok so far..?<BR><BR>&gt;Now if I don't have a =
problem,=20
then I'm 300Hz too high. If I do have a<BR>problem maybe about 100Hz =
high, but=20
nothing like the 500Hz that is being<BR>suggested by Noel.&nbsp; ?? =
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Well the answer&nbsp;isnt going to be easy Ron, I am not sure that =
I have=20
it all&nbsp;worked out.&nbsp; What I do know is my desire for us all to =
be at=20
one.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>From an experiment I was a party to recently, it seemed that with =
an=20
HF&nbsp;rig on low power and into a dummy load, and parked =
outside&nbsp;our=20
house, we needed to tune that rig in 10 Hz steps (using the mic up/down =
buttons)=20
to find the sweet spot for reliable decoding of its transmissions by my =
home=20
station.</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So lets see what we can make of your posting.&nbsp; I am as sure as =
I can=20
be that VK3MY-3 has his transmissions on RF frequencies of 10.149.700 =
and=20
10.149.900, or thereabouts within say 30 Hz, and obviously plus or minus =
any=20
small rig differences we will all likely have.&nbsp; I concede that if I =
really=20
wanted to, I could zero-zero my rig, but at the moment its more effort =
than the=20
result deserves.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Well&nbsp;if the two frequencies above are about right, and you =
have a=20
1600/1800 TNC and are on USB, then some arithmetic would&nbsp;suggest a =
dial=20
frequency of 10.148.100, without the 200 Hz dial error that you =
outlined.&nbsp;=20
I would like to say that 10.148.100 minus a 200 Hz dial error means you =
tune=20
your rig to 10.147.900 (which is the frequency that you say you use) and =
it is=20
all explained!&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>But if I have interpreted you right, the 200 Hz error you talk =
about is in=20
the other direction&nbsp; - you speak of being low and having to come up =
a=20
bit.&nbsp; Did&nbsp;they mean low in RF frequency, or low in audio =
tone?&nbsp;=20
On USB&nbsp; raising the dial frequency lowers the audio tone.&nbsp; =
Your=20
message indicates low as in dial frequency, which would be high in audio =

sound.&nbsp; In other words if you tune to 10.147.900 you are really on=20
10.147.700?&nbsp; And so with a 1600/1800 TNC would be using 10.149.300 =
and=20
10.149.500?&nbsp; And I dont have any other ideas to explain&nbsp;that =
400 Hz=20
difference.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It is a pity that in ZL our band plan prohibits SSB on 30m, because =
a voice=20
contact between us&nbsp;using the band in question would be a good =
check.&nbsp;=20
As an NZART Councillor I have to set a good example so dare not use =
voice on 30m=20
or my hand would be smacked by somebody for sure!&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Noel ZL3GR</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>